POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Need hints on POV-Ray's octree workings :) : Need hints on POV-Ray's octree workings :) Server Time
28 Jul 2024 08:30:42 EDT (-0400)
  Need hints on POV-Ray's octree workings :)
From: George Pantazopoulos
Date: 21 Sep 2002 14:18:39
Message: <3d8cb7ff$1@news.povray.org>
Hey all,
    I'm trying to wrap my mind around how POV-Ray uses the octree structure.
I've
done some reading on octrees, and have a decent mental picture of what they
are (I've even drawn diagrams for myself). However, I am getting stuck in
the
following areas:

1) What exactly do the OT_ID (in octree.h) data items x,y,z, and size
represent? Is x,y,z the the corner of the cube (node)? If so, which corner?
Similarly, does size represent the width of a cube in POV-Ray units?

2) As far as I can tell, POV-Ray uses the octree to store *points* in 3D
space (on the surface of objects) where the illuminance was sampled in
ra_gather(). All the octree tutorials I've read have the octree storing 3D
*objects*, not dimensionless points! I'm not
sure how to store a point in an octree. How does POV's octree select the
size of cube necessary to store a point? (which has no size)

Thanks for your help in getting me started :)
Sorry for posting in the wrong group initially!

George Pantazopoulos